Christiansted National Historic Site (CHRI) has recently completed repairs to the Historic Scale House, the Bandstand, and the public restrooms at the Guinea Company Warehouse in downtown Christiansted.
The existing Scale house, built in 1855, has had its roof and second floor renovated. The cedar shake roof and siding were showing signs of wear and aging prior to Hurricane Maria. Hurricane Maria impacted the roof, siding and shutters. The National Park Service had secured funding prior to the storm to begin renovations, but delays due to the storm had pushed the work back. CHRI worked with the Historic Preservation Training Center (HPTC), a unit of the National Park Service that specializes in the restoration and renovation of historic buildings across the United States using traditional skills and trades, and providing training in these skills.
The Scale House received a complete replacement of the historic cedar shake shingles, ridge caps and siding to match the historic characteristics of the building with the Danish colonial period. All sheathing that was deemed to be in poor condition was replaced using traditional mahogany to promote the longevity and structural integrity of the second floor walls, to prolong the life of replacement costs, and increase storm resistance into the future. Shutters were repaired or replaced in matching materials and repainted to match historic colors.
The Bandstand also sustained damage from Hurricane Maria; a large portion of the cedar shake roof was damaged or destroyed. The National Park Service also partnered with HPTC to replace the entire cedar shake roof and drip edge for improved aesthetics and functionality for rain protection and future storm resistance. The Bandstand work is now complete and is officially open for public use.
The Public Restroom, which consists of both historic and non-historic portions of the Guinea Company Warehouse compound, received a major renovation that included the removal of failing plaster and paint, leaking pipes, outdated and failing wall tile, and the improvement of water-wise toilet facilities to reduce the use of fresh water. The Restroom is officially open for public use from the hours of 8:30am to 4:30pm, 7 days a week (closed during some holidays). Special events may request additional hours of restroom operations through the National Park Service Special Use Permit application process.
For additional information please contact: Daniel Ritter, Facilities Division Chief (340) 773-1460